Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kentucky Hot Brown

I had some extra bechamel left from my Baked Rigatoni the other day, and I wanted to make something different. I spent a few weeks in Louisville a couple years ago and I remembered how much I wanted to try the famous "Hot Brown" but never got to. So I decided to make it on my own, and it was GOOD! I live by myself, so this is only for 1 good meal...but feel free to up the quantities.

2 slices Toast (crusts cut off)
3 oz turkey (I used Boar's Head Ovengold from the Deli)
4 slices of bacon
Sauce:
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup cheese (I used the Gruyere, Parm, Asiago again...but use your favorite)


Preheat oven to 400. Lay bacon out on rack on top of cookie sheet (this way the bacon crisps up great). Put bacon in oven for 15 - 20 minutes until crisp. While the bacon is in the oven, in a sauce pan, melt the butter, then add the flour and whisk for a minute or so (until flour is lightly cooked, you don't want it to get brown or it will change the color of the sauce). Then add milk and whisk continuously. The sauce will thicken after a few minutes (add more milk if it's too thick. Then add the cheese and stir for about 10 minutes. When the bacon and the sauce is ready, it's time to assemble. Set the broiler on the oven. In a baking dish, lay the pieces of toast, then the turkey, then the sauce (be generous with the sauce). Place under the broiler for 4 - 5 minutes until it starts to brown. Then place the bacon on top, and it's ready to serve.

0 comments: