Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fort Lauderdale: BBQ Jacks

After about a year and a half of constantly driving by the fragrant smoker, I decided to try it and see what BBQ Jacks was all about. They have a pretty typical BBQ menu, featuring Pork, Ribs, other meats and sides. I decided to go for the Pulled BBQ Sandwich Combo ($6.99). The combo comes with the sandwich, fries and baked beans. I placed my order at the counter and it was ready for me to take home in about 5 minutes. The dining area itself is very basic, similar to any fast food restaurant. So I get home and open the box, there plenty of meat on the sandwich, and the pork had the smoked pink look which was good. The sides looked good too, just the right amount of fries and beans.

The pulled pork sandwich: The bread was standard, nice and soft. The pork seemed much more like chopped up than "pulled" and some bites had some tough pieces which I wasn't quite fond of. The smoky flavor was slightly overpowering and the sauce a little sweeter than I like.

The sides: Fries were great, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The beans were really good too, probably the best I've had in a while. You could taste the bacon slightly and they had just the right amount of sweetness.
Overall: Not bad, but I have definitely had better. Next time I'll try Tom Jenkins.

0 comments: